Best Remote Learning Tips 2021
As the world moves towards increased remote learning, the debate on how to remote learning more successful is raging now more than ever. But the fundamentals of any kind of learning must be considered if remote learning is to be successful. These include clarity, checking for understanding, review and feedback.
But it is also increasingly clear that remote learning has its own unique challenges. Unlike an in-classroom learning experience that only requires the student and the teacher to be in the same room together for learning to proceed, there are a lot of hardware and software components that go into remote learning. This means that different locations and even different students will have different levels of preparedness.
So, in knowing that your level of preparedness as well as the tools you use cannot be the same as any other student, how do you make remote learning work for you. The following remote learning tips will help you get the most out of your remote classes.
Remote Learning Tips for Teachers
Regardless of the form remote learning takes, there is no question that is can present unique challenges. The following tips will help teachers easily overcome these challenges and make remote learning work for their students;
Encourage Students to Participate
It is the experience of most teachers that fewer than half of their students actually show up for online classes. While this could indicate a problem that may be beyond the teacher’s control such as the availability of internet connectivity or a lack of hardware like computers, it may also indicate a lack of enthusiasm on the part of the student.
The first step towards getting the most out of your learning experience is to participate. Teachers can therefore increase the effectiveness of their remotes classes by encouraging students to log in and participate in the class. One of the best ways to do that is to specify when the students show up and exactly the tasks they need to complete.
Focus on Content
It is also much more beneficial for the teacher to focus more on the content of the course rather than the comprehension skills of the students. Rather than attempt to deeply explain a complex subject matter, the teacher can focus on making sure that the students understand the basic concepts of the subject. Most teachers have also found that discussing what is currently happening in their world is a great way to keep students engaged.
Keep it Simple
While this is advice that may come in handy in any learning situation, it is far more important in remote learning environments. This is because it is much harder for the teacher to assess of the students are confused by the subject matter or not. Therefore, a teacher should try to simplify the material as much as possible to eliminate the possibility of confusion.
It is also important for the teacher to err on the side of caution when introducing new material. If new material must be introduced into the course at all, the process should be gradual and with extra attention on how the students are engaging with the new content.
One of the best ways to make sure that your students are engaging with new content is to connect the new ideas to old ones they may have come across or by providing examples they may already be aware of. This will not just help them understand the new material, but will also allow them to review the old content and remember the subject matter they may have forgotten.
Keep it Brief
To avoid confusion, it is always best to keep the course information as brief as possible. This is particularly applicable to any new information that the student has not come across before. It should also apply to the length of the classes; students will be more receptive to a 45-minute class than a 60-minute class. It is also important to take note of some of the other aspects of the learning environment that could prove distracting to the students and since the classes are online, there is no limit to the number of distractions.
Make Online Learning as Interactive as Possible
To facilitate a learning environment, it is important to ensure that the students are engaged and in an online learning environment, this can only be achieved by making the process as interactive as possible. There are some platforms that allow teachers to give their students a short quiz with immediate result. Even if you don’t have access to a platform like this one, quizzing your students on a regular basis is one of the best ways to ensure that they remain engaged with the content.
Moreover, you can also use video content for distance learning. You can record a short video clips to explain a subject, to show a science experiment or a presentation PowerPoint to interest students. I would recommend Wondershare DemoCreator for you to record computer screen as well as webcam to make videos on your own.
Use both Synchronous and Asynchronous Learning
Remote learning can either be done synchronously (with all students online at the same time) or asynchronously (with the students accessing the class at different times). Since synchronous lessons are a lot harder to setup and keep up with since not all students may have access to the internet at the same time. To make remote learning as effective as possible, it is therefore important to use both learning methods. This will allow all students to be at the same level in the class even when they can’t access the online classroom.
Remote Learning Tips for Students
There are also some things that a student can do to make remote learning more effective for them. The following are just some of them;
- Plan a daily routine. This will help you determine a specific time for classes, allowing you to always show up on time and stay for the duration of the class.
- Keep all distractions from interfering with the class this includes communication from other classmates and social media distractions.
- It is also a good idea to complete the assignments and then receive feedback for the assignments or quizzes. Feedback will allow you to not just remember what you have learnt, but also interact with the teachers.
- Be sure to engage with your teacher and other students in the class. But it is equally as important to collaborate with other students in the class. Chat tools can be very effective in allowing you to discuss a complex subject matter with your fellow students
- Don’t forget to ask for help when you need it and since remote learning can be more flexible in this regard than in-person classes, you can ask questions during the class or at any other time via email.
Remote Learning Tips for Parents
Parents can also do a lot to help their children remain engaged in remote learning classes. The following are just some of them;
- As parent, it is very important for you to understand the expectations of remote learning. You should know how long your children are expected to be online so you can plan accordingly.
- You should also determine the kind of activities that will work best for your child. For example, your child may benefit more from activities that include a live instructor than ones they are required to do by themselves. By understanding your child’s needs you will be better placed to help their teacher plan.
- Reduce any distractions in the home that may interfere with the child’s learning process.
- You should also adjust your schedule as needed to ensure that no activities in the home interfere with the child’s class or learning activities.
- Make sure that your child has occasional breaks in-between learning. This will not just give your child the much-needed rest, but will ensure that they will be eager to join the next class.
- Provide your child with positive feedback to keep the motivated. Something as simple as a checkmark on an assignment can help to motivate your child.
The All-in-One Screen Recorder & Video Editor
- Record desktop screen,audio and webcam simultaneously
- Edit videos quickly with a wide range of professional tools
- Built-in plentiful video effects
- Export to MP4, MOV, MKV, GIF and multiple formats
Even though remote learning can have specific challenges, some of them beyond your control, when students, teachers and parents work together, remote learning is very accessible. In fact, with collaboration, it can very easily be accomplished and even work much better than in-person learning.
The tips we have outlined above are designed to help you utilize remote learning effectively. But since to most people this may be a new experience for most, your own adaptability will prove very useful. No two households, situations and even students are the same and it is therefore likely that there will be some unique challenges to deal with.