Camtasia vs Snagit - How to Choose
In any professional video editing, you will require to use capture tools and screen casts. Screen recording or sense-making capture tools are of immense significance when making a quality video. Even with the Camtasia versus Snagit debate still ongoing, it is well known that Camtasia and Snagit are the ideal screen recording solutions.
However, confusion arises when you want to make a choice between the two. The difficulty is worse considering that both Camtasia and Snagit are products of one company, TechSmith. You can be confused further by the fact that TechSmith offers the Camtasia + Snagit bundle to their customers. This article offers a brief description of Camtasia and Snagit, functions, features, pros and cons to help you to make an informed decision on the tool that best suits your needs.
Interface and Pricing
The Snagit and Camtasia user interface can be viewed in the simplicity and the professionalism perspectives. When looking at Camtasia vs Snagit, it is imperative to have a clear understanding of their interface in order to make an informed decision when making video captures and editing.
Camtasia app is better for professional editing interface. Camtasia offer professional-looking video edit, that includes recorded videos imported from other sources as well as screen captures. It comes with green-screen effect, multi-track editing and musicpro-level editing. The user has the control of the audio quality. The output of Camtasia production can be converted into GIF, AVI, WMV and MP4 formats that are easy to share with others.
On the other hand, Snagit has limited output options. It allows recording on the screen with microphone, system audio and the webcam. In addition, you can create GIF with Snagit and allow taking screenshots on a specified frame. MP4 is the only available video output for Snagit. When looking for quick screen capture or record Snagit is the best option.
When you use several screenshots in any video combine Camtasia and Snagit for editing. For preset effects, Snagit is normally the best for editing. It has been proven beyond reasonable doubt that Camtasia cannot beat Snagit in photo editing. Generally, combining Camtasia and Snagit can create stunning visual screen projects.
You can get Camtasia www.techsmith.com/store/camtasia at a price of $249. Customers who were on the previous Camtasia versions can get an upgrade to latest version at $99. It is also possible to purchase the maintenance agreement at $49.75 that offer an upgrade to upcoming versions and enjoy the technical support offered by support team at TechSmith and get Camtasia certification on-demand. Snagit is sold at $49.95. The screen-capture utility is compatible with both macOS and Windows. The Snagit base price offers the user a license to use two devices. You can also opt for additional $12.49 as Maintenance agreement that guarantees the user updates to the latest version and a Snagit certification that teaches on how to use the app. TechSmith also offer the Snagit+Camtasia bundle package that offer video editing and screen-recording software at $274. When the bundle is purchased separately it costs $298.
Should money be a factor when purchasing Snagit and Camtasia software? The price does not solely inform the decision to purchase software. In most cases, buyers look at the key features and the intended use of the tool. The following are some of the key features of Snagit and Camtasia that can help to reach at the final decision of the app that can suit your task.
Functions and Key Features
Features of Camtasia
Camtasia has features that assist users working in teams in organizations in creating consistent and professional videos. Some of the features include;
- Templates - Camtasia comes with pre-designed templates for the users to use when making videos. In addition, they have custom templates that allow users to make videos with their own specifications. Users can create templates using placeholders that are replaced by dragging and dropping using pre-defined elements and structures for video projects and easily shared as plug options to new video creators.
- Export packages - Camtasia allow users to easily create and share template packages with other users and teams creating a similar content. The templates are combined with favorite collections, color themes, library and other preferred features into a .campackage. This allows easy sharing among teams to enable them design videos based on the specification of the package and ensure consistence in colors, styles and layout.
- Magnetic track - The toggle feature on a Magnetic track automatically allows the removal of gaps between clips on a timeline track. Toggling allows easier trimming, reposition, replacements and inserting media clips on a track. This creates a seamless track without breaks in between scenes.
- Favorites - TechSmith has added the Favorite feature that shows the common request by the users. The users can now add stars on the features and tools that they frequently use in Camtasia, save them and can easily access them in future.
- Track matte - The Track Matte features of improved workflow are designed for advanced user to help in expanding their creative freedom and compositional options. Users can create animated and static masks to define display of different tracks using Track Matte. For better editing, Camtasia users can use the enhanced media bin, customizable presets tool and detachable timelines.
Features of Snagit
- Screen recorder - The screen recorder of Snagit allows the user to record while working through the various steps they want to illustrate. You can frames that are out of your recorded video. The video file can then be saved as animated or MP4 for easy sharing.
- Record webcam - You can easily toggle between your screen recording and the webcam when recording a video. You can use your recorder for adding personal touch in your videos to share with clients and teammates.
- Animated GIFs - Snagit has both custom and default options for creating GIF. It allows you in turning your MP4 recordings to animated GIF that are easy to share.
- Video trimming - video trimming feature enables you to remove unwanted sections of a screen recording. You can cut your video recording at your beginning, at the middle or even at the end. This allows you to remain with quality video recording.
- Annotations - Annotation allows you to add professionalism or personality with the numerous pre-made styles. There are several screen grabs that you can use to add to your video or import from saved annotations.
With all features clear in black, the next question would be, ‘which one should I go for?’ This is a misplace question since Snagit and Camtasia are very different in their features. The following are some of the best situations where each of the software is best suited for.
When to Use Camtasia
- If you want to produce long video clips for a YouTube channel or website.
- When making professional videos for a specific audience.
- When you need numerous effects added on your video.
- If you need high quality video and audio output.
- When you want to create tutorials with zooming, cursor effects or the Green screen options for relating with your audience.
- If you want to create high-quality branded videos.
When to Use Snagit
- When capturing screenshots not offered by other tools.
- When creating mock-ups for a project.
- When editing images and screenshots to engage your audience.
- When making short videos that require no editing.
Pros and Cons of Camtasia and Snagit
Just like any other software, Cantasia and Snagit have their own benefits and disadvantage. The following are some of the pros and cons that come with the two video editing apps that can help you make a make an informed choice.
Simple and easy to set user-interface suitable for learners
Quality and intuitive screen recording features
Automated cursor effects for editing videos
Has a mobile app integration feature
Great customer support services
Relatively low cost
Easy to access and rich asset library
Has a limited cross-compatibility
Has limited keyboard commands
Has limited customization of videos
Captures the drop-down menus.
Captures panoramic scrolling
It is powerful and flexible video recording.
Has a mobile Wi-Fi syncing app
Has a cloud storage
Have strong border image effects
It is expensive
Has limited video editing
Since both Camtasia and Snagit perfom different tasks, they are valuable tools in your computer. They work on both Mac and windows with sharing options such as YouTube, Microsoft Word, Google Drive, Screencast among others. For effective sharing of screenshots, Snagit is the best for sharing information. Camtasia is the best choice for creating tutorial videos . For people learning how to create videos, Camtasia allow them to express their skills on need-basis. It is important to have the right set of tools in your computer for sharing information. Whether you opt for Camtasia or Snagit or both, an effective screen capturing solution will help in timely sharing of information.