10 Best Open Source Screen Recorders for Windows, Mac, and Linux
With the effect of the pandemic, people have to switch to work at home and use screen recorders more and more often than usual. Thus, screen recorders are becoming quite demanding in this situation.
Even though there are a number of screen recorders on market, it is hard for users to choose one among them as they have different features and benefits. Here we will introduce the most popular ten screen recorders for Windows. Hopefully, you will learn to choose the most suitable one after reading through it.
- Part 1: [Recommended] DemoCreator - Screen Recording & Video Editing in One Place
- Part 2: Top 10 Best Open Source Screen Recorders
Part 1. [Recommended]: DemoCreator - Screen Recording & Video Editing in One Place
DemoCreator screen recording software is a two-in-one program that allows you to record screens and edit recording clips in one place.
The screen recording feature is totally free, which allows you to record from your screen and webcam simultaneously. It's perhaps the best tool out there for recording high-paced games at up to 120 FPS.
Apart from all this, it's also a great video editor, allowing you to do all kinds of basic editing on your video, customize cursor effects, and add annotations (text, callout, effects, etc.)
- Record Desktop Screen And Webcam Simultaneously
- Record Computer Audio And Voice Over
- Splendid Annotations, Cursor Effects, and Editing Features
- Basic editing features like split, cut, delete, and powerful features including speed changing, blending modes, and various video effects
- Multiple export options: export to various formats or upload to social media platforms directly
To check out the reason that we recommend Filmora screen recording software, check our comparison table below
Top 10 Best Open Source Screen Capture tools
|Filmora||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||MP4, MOV, GIF, MP3||Win & Mac|
|ShareX||Yes||No||No||No||AVI, MP4, GIF||Win|
|Capture Fox||Yes||No||Motion JPEG or Xvid in AVI||Win|
|OBS Studio||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Formats supported by libavformat||Win/Mac/Linux|
|SimpleScreenRecorder||Yes||Yes||No||Formats supported by libavformat||Linux|
|Kazam||Yes||No||VP8/WebM video format||Linux|
|Record My Desktop||Yes||No||Theora in Ogg||Linux|
|XVidCap||Yes||No||MPEG, FFMPEG's libavformat||Linux|
Audio: If the software supports recording audio commentary on the video
OpenGL: Supports recording from games or software that employ OpenGL to render a digital image
DirectX: Supports recording from games or software that use Direct3D to render a digital image
Editing: Supports editing recorded video, such as cropping, trimming or splitting, etc.
1. ShareX: Windows
This software is well known for its fast screen recording function with unlimited features that can be accessed easily by users on their portable devices. You can initiate screen recording with different settings to get customized results and the capture tools allow users to set easy controls for effects, drawings, and regions.
- It allows full-screen recording.
- Possess auto capture feature for screen recordings.
- Consists of so many advanced region capture tools.
- Here users can enjoy multiple methods for direct file uploading.
2. Capture Fox: Firefox Add on Windows
Many professionals love to use this tool for recording screen movements along with external voice controls so that educational videos, as well as tutorials and e-lessons, can be created. You need to install a few add-ons to make this software compatible with your device and then it can record high-resolution videos for you.
- The add-ons can be installed easily with a few basic settings.
- The advanced features allow users to get the best results from the application.
- It is much more convenient to use.
Learn more about Capture Fox >>
3. Cam Studio: Windows
The CamStudio can record all audio activities as well as screen movements for you with high resolution. It is recognized as an industry-standard tool due to its incredible features where bandwidth-friendly type flash videos can be easily created.
- Users can personalize their videos while introducing the picture-in-picture feature over the desktop.
- The end results are of rich quality with anti-aliased captions available for screen recording.
4. VirtualDub: Windows
Here is your advanced video processing and capture software tool that is compatible with 64-bit as well as 32-bit Windows version devices. You will be glad to take advantage of its batch processing abilities that can be extended even up to third-party videos.
- This software program streamlines the fastest linear type operations on videos.
- It is mainly used for AVI files whereas it can also handle MPEG-1 files and BMP images.
5. Freeseer: Windows, Mac, and Linux
Here is an open-source, free, cross-platform type application for beginners as well as professionals that can capture all desktop streams so easily. This software is commonly used for recording desktop presentations during conferences, training sessions, and lectures.
- Here is an open source, free, cross-platform type application for beginners as well as professionals that can capture all desktop streams so easily. This software is commonly used for recording desktop presentations during conferences, training sessions, and lectures.
- Users prefer this software due to its profitability as well as simplicity.
- Is one of the best solutions for meaningful documentations throughout the world.
6. OBS Studio: Windows, Mac, and Linux
It is a free as well as an open source video recorder that is highly preferred for live streaming as well as video recording. This software is compatible with Linux, Mac as well as Windows platforms.
- Results in high-performance type video quality with custom transitions.
- Users can take benefit from advanced filters, color correction, and image masking tools.
- More powerful and easy to configure options.
- Users can set both dark and light themes for this platform.
- It has advanced audio mixer along with noise suppression abilities.
7. SimpleScreen Recorder: Linux
It is a Linux-based program for games and program recording. The user interface is developed to appear very simple and appealing to beginners and it has many advanced features.
- Comes with a graphical user interface.
- Allows live streaming.
- Users can check previews of videos and pause or resume them as per need.
- Customizable settings.
8. Kazam ScreenCaster: Linux
This software tool provides an easy-to-use and well-designed user interface that can easily capture all screenshots as well as screencasts. Users can utilize its advanced feature for recording desktop videos with multiple audio streams.
- It is a simple and efficient user platform.
- Run videos so smoothly.
- This software comes with pause, start and finish shortcut keys.
9. Record My Desktop: Linux
Here is an easy-to-use and effective video recorder program that is separated into two major parts: one is its active command line that can be used for encoding as well as capturing whereas the second is its advanced interface that makes everything easy to use.
- It can record videos with clear audio input.
- This tool performs all basic tasks perfectly.
It is a popular commercial tool that can support MPEG videos and does its recording job excellently. You can easily find so many instructional videos over the internet about how to use this software.
- It has an online encoding facility.
- Video files are available with improved clarity.
All in all, though Filmora Scrn is a screen recorder with video editing features, but if you want to add some cool game effects downloaded from Effects Store, we recommend you to try Wondershare Filmora video editor. Filmora is a video editor designed for all creators, whether you want to make gameplay video, travel vlog video, or beauty video. Download Filmora now and empower your imagination.