Top 10 Screencast Video Software for Windows and Mac (Free&Paid)
Capturing and sharing video recording of your screen is one of the quickest and easiest ways to share knowledge. And there is a whole world of screencasting software in the market today to help you execute screen recordings.
The only problem is:
In the online world, there is hardly any in-depth assessment of the different screencasting and video editing tools to help you make quick decisions.
To solve that, we scraped the deepest corners of the internet, examine the best screencast software, to bring you both the best paid and free screencast software-for Mac and Windows.
And for a screencast software to qualify as one of the best, it must meet essential requirements:
Checklist for an Excellent Screencast Software
- Easy to use-the user interface must be a no-brainer to interact with. A tool might be exemplary fine. But if its interface is intimidating, you'll find it difficult to access important utilities.
- Existing support -superior support improves user's satisfaction. Because more than often, you'll hit a dead-end using a screencast tool. And you'd need excellent support to get your way through.
- Easy to share - After recording your screencast, it is most likely you'd want to upload them to all common platforms like Dropbox, Google Drive, YouTube, Vimeo, and other popular platforms. And software that can allow direct share to those platforms might come handy.
- Free - premium screencasting tools are hugely valuable in the screen recording world-especially when you need advanced functionality or on-call support.
But for 75% of other tasks, a free tool often does the trick. And you'd only want to focus on only the best and the most useful free video casting tools.
- Security - Most of the screencasts are information that's sensitive like internal training videos, university lectures, which call for proper security. Meaning, you'd go for a screencasting and video editing software that presents more security.
With that out of the way, let's get started.
Top 5 Best Free Screencast software
At first, let's get the top 5 free screencast software.
The Wondershare DemoCreator meets one of the world's best screen recording and video editing tools that simplifies capture of video demos, tutorials, presentations, games, and allow editing of the video you've captured quickly like a pro.
NOTE: Click here to get 3 Easy Steps to Make a Screencast Video with Wondershare DemoCreator
All that functionality is only a few clicks.
- Intuitive and flexible recording experience
- Ridiculously powerful and seriously creative annotation utility
- Exemplary fast video editing after screencasting
- 4K video support
- In-built screen recorder and video editor
- YouTube social media uploading
Available for: Windows and Mac platforms
2. OBS Studio
Leverage the highly-packed, with live streaming capability free screencasting software to screen record and edit your videos.
- High-performance video and audio capturing.
- An unlimited number of scenes created.
- It effectively filters the noise gate and suppression.
- Multiple customizable transitions for scene switching.
- Previews of screens before final production
Available for: Windows, Mac, and Linux users.
Screen record, flip, zoom, trim, and love it - all at no cost at.
ScreenRec lets you get your point across faster with instant video messages and screenshots.
- Entirely free - no time limit, no watermark
- Automated and Instant sharing-link generation-immediately you're done
- Complete privacy
- Analytics that help you see who watched your videos when and for how long
- Video output is in MP4 format for universal viewing
Available for: Windows, Mac OS, and Linux OS.
Camstudio is popular to the extremes. And it is for the best reason that it is free but well-knitted with functions that allow users to achieve more.
- Automated AVI to FLV video conversation
- Intuitive user interface
- Advance annotation tool that allows drawing, text addition, and image footage
- Can capture still frames at a regular interval rather than recording a smooth video
Available for: Windows platform only
This is a free Mac-only screencast software. But many know it as a player in the Mac OS. However, it can do more of the recording of a computer screen and execute simple edits on the recordings like trimming and clipping.
It isn't sophisticated, but it'll get the job done.
- Simple editing options like clipping
- Editing tools like rotation, splitting and trimming
Available for: Mac
Top 5 Best Paid Screencast Tools
Next, here comes the top 5 paid screencast tools
Meet Camtasia -feature-rich screencasting and full-blown video editing software.
It presents all the typical recording solutions - entire screen recording, partial screen recording, system audio recording, microphone recording, and even webcam feed.
And it doesn't stop there.
It stretches further to present a well-knitted video editing suite - advanced multi-track editing, ability to match two videos, video splitting, trimming, and even video enhancement features - all in a non-intimidating user interface.
The tool has so much to offer for both Windows and Mac users.
In the screencasting world, Movavi screencasting software is one of the highly rated. It has all the utilities a screen recorder might need to create a heart-warming screencast-and comes with a full range of editing tools to suit your needs.
- An easy-to-use interface
- Direct video sharing to YouTube and multiple social media platforms
- Advanced video editing suite that entails filters, transitions, and even more
- Sophisticated exportation option
- Readily available intros to create-Hollywood-like touch on your videos
Available for Windows and Mac Platform.
If you were looking for Screencast software for Mac, Screenflow is a Mac-only screencast tool with decent video editing and enhancement features.
- Allows users to combine your screen recording with webcam feed, system audio, and microphone audio
- Excellently-knitted video editing tool-you can superimpose different layers with your videos, zoom your video, add different annotations, transition effects, and multiple visual and audio effects
- A no-brainer user interface
- Built-in stock media library.
- Professional animation and motion graphics.
- Streamlined media management.
- Closed caption support.
It is only available for Mac and iOS users.
Screen record on any platform - Windows, Mac, Android, and even iOS - with a full-packed suite.
- Ultra-simple screen recording-all you need are a few clicks on a simple interface.
- Versatile video recordings-capture screen, audio, and webcams simultaneously.
- Seriously powerful video editor-allows line annotation, text, callouts, highlights, and more on a timely basis.
- Ridiculously simple share your creation to major video platforms and social networks.
Available for: Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and even iOS platforms.
Last on the list is Icecream Screen recorder-another screencast software with the essential recording functions like any other typical screen recorder.
However, the caveats are on its video editing features, which are relatively rudimentary.
- Excellent screen capturing in multiple video formats.
- Superior annotation tool-comes with a Drawing feature.
- Captures System sound, and microphone's sound along with the screen recording.
- Pause and resume screen recording to allow the addition of an extra element, allow editing, change the background.
- Allows use of hotkeys for superior convenience
Available for Windows and Mac platforms too.
After reading this guide, one question you might be asking yourself is: Which is the best screencast tool for PC now?
Well, if you're after a basic screencasting solution, you can't go wrong with any of the 10. However, if you're seeking for professional-level screencasting and editing, you might want to consider Wondershare Democreator-it has nearly all the screen recording and video editing solutions you might ever need, including 4K video support and an intuitive interface.
And if you're after the best Mac-only screencast video editor, you'd go for Screenflow. But honestly, every tool in the list has its unique capabilities and would address most of your screencasting and video editing software needs.